Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Doctors, Doctors and more Doctors

We had a very busy week last week filled with lots of Doctor's appointments! I've had these 3 little bumps on my neck for like 2 years now. I first noticed them when I was pregnant with Joseph. They were just these ugly little bumps that never really bothered me other than the fact that they were really ugly. One of them started to get bigger and almost over night it tripled in size. On Monday, Memorial Day, it really started to hurt. By Tuesday morning it was starting to get red and it was really tender. So I went and saw Dr Dietz who told me it was a Sebaceous Cyst that had become infected. He told me that they couldn't remove it when it was infected so he started me on an antibiotic and told me to make an appointment with a dermatologist to have it removed. So I came home started the antibiotic and made an appointment for the following Thursday to have the cyst removed. Wednesday we took Anna to see an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor for her nasal congestion and snorty breathing. Luckily after a thorough examination including sticking a fiber optic scope in her nose, they concluded that she has a small chin and a jaw that is set far back which causes her to breathe funny. There is nothing we can do except have her sleep on her side and wait for her chin and jaw to grow. By Thursday afternoon my cyst was even bigger, redder and hotter. I called Dr Dietz who told me that the only way to clear the infection at this point was to cut the cyst open and drain the infection. However he wasn't going to be in the office the next day so he set me up with Dr Hawkins. Luckily I used to work in this office so I know all the Doctors. Friday afternoon we went to the office and Dr Hawkins took care of the cyst. He numbed me up and then cut a slit in the cyst and basically popped it like a big zit. David watched the whole thing ( I wished I could've but because of the location I couldn't watch) said that he couldn't believe how much stuff came out! They packed it full of iodized gauze and told me to come back Monday and they would take the gauze out and re-pack it. After that lovely painful experience we went up to the University Hospital to visit Dave's grandma who was there because she was having chest pains. Everything turned out ok. We enjoyed a nice visit with her. Monday I went back in. By this time the gauze had all fallen out. Luckily it had started to heal and they didn't have to re-pack it. Now I just have to wait for it to heal and shrink back down before I can have it removed! So I took a picture of the cyst before I went in on Friday to have it drained. David told me I was nerdy for posting it but I wanted you all to see what I was talking about! I didn't take an after picture because it is just a large slit now!

No comments:

Post a Comment